Saturday 14 July 2007

Sunday Scribblings #68 HAiR.


As soon as I saw the topic HAIR the dilemma was do I write about how my mother had my long hair cut short as punishment for wagging school, when I was thirteen years old? Nah!
Do I write of my first hair dyeing experience when I came home and my hubby said I looked like I'd been hit over the head with a bottle of tomato sauce? Nah!
Or ...
"Gimme a head with HAiR, long bewdiful hair, shining, gleaming, streaming, flaxen, waxen ... remember that song ????

In June 1969 HAiR: The American Tribal Love-Rock Musical premiered at the Metro Theatre in cosmopolitan Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia, after a huge success on Broadway.

WOW how controversial! Sex, drugs, anti Vietnam propaganda and nudity on stage, live, in my home town. We booked tickets and a babysitter - how riscay. I'll never forget the cast walking down the aisles of the theatre, starkers, in the bol, nude naked with nothing on - yeah Baby!!

The Sydney Daily Telegraph critique was funny by today's standards.
The wowsers were up in arms, people protested outside the theatre. There was a bomb scare reacted to with little alarm in comparison to the seriousness of threats today! The songs were silly and catchy. In 2003 it was staged again in Australia, but flopped! How times have changed!

This HAIR topic's been way more fun, can ya hear me? ... I'm still singing ...
Flow it, show it, long as god can grow it my HAiR, hair, hair, hair, hair ...

5 Comments:

Nancy said...

A fun read -- must have been awesome to see it in its heyday!

Rob Kistner said...

Liked your reflective musing here... the times, and peoples perspectives, certainly do change!

Gill said...

It must have been such an experience to see the musical live. Incredible how reactions to this type of thing have changed.

Patois42 said...

Yes, I can't get those lyrics out of my head today.

Timaree said...

I loved the song. Never got to see that musical or Jesus Christ Superstar. Wish I'd seen both. Too bad they weren't on a DVD at least.

Related Posts with Thumbnails