Saturday 9 February 2008

Writers Island - CHANGED

Throughout life I’ve constantly changed. Drudgery, monotony and routine were eliminated. The doldrums of life, for me, are few. Addresses, occupations, goals, addictions, phone numbers, education, fashion, appearance, challenges, friends, tolerances, diets, habits, likes, dislikes, relationships, opinions, myths, status, ideology, creativity, changed.

People who’ve put a foot out of line, lied, cheated, disrespected, thieved, embarrassed, belittled, and more were banished. Changed. The resolve that there are too many good people out there without having to tolerate bad behaviour still stands!

Sound normal?

Of course it is. Natural difference. Nothing stays the same. Attitudes, trends, values, mores, beliefs, traditions … everything from sunrise till sunset are intrinsic to life, yet the reluctance of people when things are changed baffles me?

Fear or apathy?

Look at the men you know … when was their hairstyle changed? Look at the women you know … when was their hair style, hair colour or appearance changed? Why are there more women’s hair salons than men’s? OK, OK, yes ... this is a shallow example, but think about it, haven't the women you've known, changed constantly compared to men you've known?

Hang on … I’ve changed my mind about writing more … momentarily I changed the blogging hat to the sociology one ... see how easy it can be?

16 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the isolated comment "Fear or apathy?"

Yes - change can be a conscious impulse or an imposed restriction.

Nice write!

Smiles and Light

Anonymous said...

I agree. You seem to imply women changes more, visually. Men... watch:=)) Though men changed constantly without showing.
I like the way you present the changes in a single breath in the first para.

Anonymous said...

I've changed. Visually, mentally, every way. But the women in my life changed more than I. And not just hairstyles!

Beau Brackish said...

You raise many excellent points. I agree, men are typically more stoic; resistant to outward expressions of change. But if we have a good woman in our lives, she will encourage me to shave off the Grizzly Adams beard and stop wearing sneakers all the time. Even still, I will never pay more than 20 USD for someone to cut my hair. That just isn't happening.

Robin M said...

Good post. Speaking for myself, as I get older, I am less willing to put up with the drama and have banished those whose life consists totally of drama. Life is too short.

Robin of mytwoblessings

anthonynorth said...

Ah, but if women are always changing, the real change would be if they didn't :-)

Enjoyed this piece.

Pri said...

thats why they say 'change is the ONLY constant in the universe' :)

rebecca said...

if we and things don't change, we simply don't grow. good post.

Anonymous said...

I agree, women are more accepting of change - I believe it started in a garden.

Lucy said...

change is great! Especially hair changes! Cha ching in my business!

Rambler said...

I think both men and women change, its just that we get to see others change easily compared to our own selves.

UL said...

ah...change is inevitable..isnt it?

michelle said...

I liked your post on Changed a lot. I am just learning - at 36 to embrace change rather than fight it and dread it. I like things the way they are but yet whether I like it that way or not change always wins.

Marja said...

Great The only constant in life is change. I do think too that woman more change than men. It seems as if woman are sometimes deeper involved in life not talking about the hairdresser.

paisley said...

i must agree that women seem more apt to change than men... however... that brings to light the fact that we have had a lot longer to figure them out then doesn't it??? i wonder why we are still so baffled by a sex that hasn't changed in forever........

Anonymous said...

Men are just more discreet. Don't be deceived by what you see from outside - men, too, go through a lot of changes. We're just trained to be quiet about it.

Check out my series poem: Changes.

Happy Valentines!

I wish you well.

~ Jeques

Related Posts with Thumbnails