Sunday 3 April 2011

Plastic in birds guts = Australian Flesh Footed Shearwaters = Frogpondsrock ...


I was about to do my Sunday Selections post but was mortified when I saw Kim's story ...

This plastic you can see in the photo came out of the stomachs of three  Australian Flesh Footed Shearwaters on Lord Howe Island ...

a Google search indicates there's a decline in the birds ... no wonder!

This puts a new light on my scrounging beach glass on Santa Monica beach escapade ... like, what else am I going to find?

Look closely ... even an old Penfolds bottle cap ... what else can you see?

Further to my above post :::
Kim tells me one of the worst plastic finds are the little clips that hold bought socks together.


Wouldn't it make a great school project for kids to collect and recycle those horrid little things?


If you have school age kids who might be interested in running something similar I'd love to hear from you via the comments section here.


People power is a wonderful thing!!

10 Comments:

Enchanted Moments said...

Helium balloon ties, the plastic clips they tie the balloons with....instead of using a good old fashioned knot like we used to.
Imagine, these clips are on every balloon that is ever lost into the sky out of the hands of children, not to mention the hundreds and thousands of them that they let off for celebrations all around the world...do they think they just fly into the air forever????Derr....they have to fall somewhere...obviously to the ground, beach, sea...all of that rubbish makes so sad.....

Nelly said...

Thats awful I still get annoyed that people throw rubbish on the ground etc instead of in the bins.Need some more ad campaigns like I used to watch as a kid.Remember the one where a kid is in a car with his dad all happy then dad throws rubbish out the window and th ekid looks at him and the dad has turned into a pig? Now that was from the 70s but made a huge impact on my not being a litter bug today.

frog ponds rock... said...

It is a lot of plastic. There were even those little tiny coat hanger thingies that they hang the socks up with in the shops.

Thanks for posting the imaqes. :)

Beautiful Day said...

My gosh! That is just awful! They definitely need to run TV ads again, with a focus on not littering the beach! Shame Australia, shame.

Cherie said...

Thank YOU Ladies for your concerned posts.
I've added an idea to my blog post based on the interest here and Kim telling me that one of the worst plastic offenders are the little clips that hold socks together.
That could be a wonderful collect and recycle project for someone with school age kids!
Thanks YOU ALL for being concerned♥

Anonymous said...

Absolutely disgusting. Where is the government initiatives? Nowhere. In spite of the governments PEOPLE will save the animals and the planet.

Anonymous said...

dont get me started,,

I get so upset.

grrrr

Killiecrankie Farm said...

funny how we try to save the earth using big ticket ideas like carbon, when we could just stop so many of these small things being produced in non-biodegradable materials.
Bread ties thats another thing !
etc etc etc etc

Lyndel said...

I agree with Enchanted Moments.. all those balloons we see being 'freed' at Birthdays ... Weddings ... Funerals (and every occasion in between!). grrrr so annoying to think of all that litter.

Sarah Slaven said...

Wow makes you think doesn't it, we need to start small to fix things in a big way.

Related Posts with Thumbnails